Monday, June 15, 2009

Libraries... My Future

I am too indecisive about my future and what should occupy my time. What is my life's calling? I often wonder if any job will make me truly happy. I believe this is because I am normally happy with whatever I happen to be doing at the time. When I worked in a pharmacy during high school, I thought that I would be happy as a pharmacist, when I worked in a HR department during college, I thought that would be my life's work. I hold neither of these jobs, but now I am working towards becoming a librarian. I enjoy library school and I am having fun with my classes and I enjoy what is being taught to me, but I can't help but wonder, do I enjoy this because I really like it, or is it just because this happens to be what I am doing right now?

When I began my MLIS, I thought that I would like to become an archivist and bury myself in some climate control room for the rest of my life. As I have moved through the program, I am beginning to think that may not be the best path for my life. I always told people that I don't much care for having to work with others every day, but I am beginning to think that I might just be a people person, so the climate control room is out for me. I have recently taken a class on metadata and I am now finding that topic to be very interesting. But I wonder if thats only because I just finished a class about the subject. One area that I am beginning to find more and more appealing is library usage and user outreach. I think that I might really enjoy getting people excited about using the library and finding ways to get more people to utilize the resources that libraries offer. Perhaps this career path will make me happy.

Its both a blessing and a curse to be happy in every job. I might not ever find that "perfect" job that fits me like a glove, but its a nice thing to know that no matter what, chances are that I will be happy with whatever job comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment