Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Start of School, End of Summer Reading...

I hate that school is about to start. Not that I don't love school, but its beginning signals the end of my summer reading. I read all year long, but the summer always seems to make reading more fun. Even with a job, I still find the need to constantly have a book around me during the summer. I think it comes from years of having to do summer reading for school. I almost miss having someone tell me what I should be reading but when it comes to picking something for myself, I'm always way too indecisive.

While I didn't accomplish my goal of rereading all the Harry Potter books this summer, I still think that I did my fair share of reading. I think my favorite book of the summer was the Omnivore's Dilemma. I really enjoyed learning about where most of the food in America comes from and if you are thinking about becoming a vegetarian, it will push you over the edge in to the land of the meatless. I also read The World is Flat which I would recommend to anyone, especially someone that is looking for a new career. The author emphasizes the importance of making yourself special and unique as the world becomes more competitive and "flattens out."

I was also able to indulge my love of Jane Austen by reading several Pride and Prejudice spin-offs and squeals. While none can make the original, I would recommend the An Assembly Such as This as an interesting look at the story from the perspective of Mr. Darcy.

All in all, I think this summer's reading was both interesting and entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment