Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Week Eight, Day Thirteen- November 13

Today we were able to finish the pictures for the 1960s. The pictures for this decade took up one whole filing box! I was really surprised we were able to finish today because there were just so many pictures to catalog. As we worked, I began to notice pictures that should have been grouped together because they were of the same event, but we had failed to place them together. I'm thinking that if we have time, we might be able to go back and put the pictures in a better order and just rework the spread sheet, but I doubt we will have the time. It really surprises me that this happened because we spent so much time at the beginning of the project trying to put the pictures in the most logical order. I think the reason behind the mix up is that two people have been working on everything at the same time. When you are able to work on your own, you get to handle each picture and you would be able to make connections that are just not made when two people are handing the pictures.
I think in the future, anyone who works on the collection should just work on one decade at a time on their own. This way they would get to know the decade and could make connections between different pictures.

We were also able to finish the paper work for the 1960s today. It didn't take us that long because we have found a good system of getting through all the paper work. While I type the information into the spread sheet, Latoya gets all the papers in the next folder in the best order and reads over everything. She is then able to give me a brief overview of the information so that I don't have to read everything to find out what should be included in the spread sheet. I think working with a partner works for papers and documents but not so much for pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment